Thursday, December 10, 2009

to add...

Some of you may also know that for the past two years, Sheldon and I have not done Christmas presents. Not because we're against them but by choice in order to pay more on school debt.

I'm a giver... I love everything about it... the thought that goes into what present will be perfect for each member of my family, the time spent SEARCHING for that perfect item, and the excitement held by the receiver's face when they open our present! It's the best!
SOooo ... as you can imagine... The past two years have been very hard.

In talking with many of my friends this year and even last... I've begun to see a different side. I refuse to cause my family to struggle and fore go visiting my family in Texas, just so we can buy one another presents.
Sometimes the gift buying can overtake us and shift our focus to material things instead of thinking of Christ. This Christmas season I see so many people hurting and I am thankful for the choice we've made...it's moved me to be so much more aware of the REAL reason we celebrate Christmas... Jesus' birth!

Don't get me wrong, I CAN'T wait until we can buy presents for people again. It's a luxury! I know now that when that time comes I will be more aware and appreciative of all he's given us! He is the reason for the season! Christmas is the best!!!

Random entry I am well aware, but none the less, something that's been on my mind today!

3 comments:

  1. I love it Amie. We started doing only 3 gifts this year and it is amazing. Well 3 gifts under a SMALL budget. And we are not exchanging names with the fam which has helped because I always stress about it! BAH. It really has helped our family focus on the real meaning of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand the idea of realizing what Christmas is really about. At school I'm and RA and a fellow RA friend of mine at another res. hall was working desk while some RA's were doing a program about the meaning of Christmas. By the end of the program they were flat out saying Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus. I was pertrafied that people I know who go to church things with me and listen to anything we've ever said about anything that what if they've gotten that notion from us. It made me take a step back for sure and I definately know I'm working on the spreading the true meaning of Christmas because I know now for sure there are some people need me to share it with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been handmaking all of our gifts to family for the last three years (except for the children). I even tell my family all that I want for Christmas is the ability to be with them for the holidays. Being poor makes you appreciate Christmas more than before. It makes the real reason stand out a whole lot more.

    ReplyDelete